A View From The Handbasket

Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Paleotech
Posted by neros_fiddle at 6:44 PM


While reviewing the latest version of the Ted Stevens Internet Truck/Telecom Welfare Bill, I couldn't help but notice the following at the top of each page:

S:\WPSHR\LEGCNSL\XYWRITE\2DCOM06\HR5252.RS


XyWrite? XyWrite? XYWRITE?

For the life of me, I can't decide whether the fact that legislation affecting the future of the internet is being written on an 80s-vintage word processor is charming or terrifying. XyWrite was excellent at what it did and I'm sure it's well-suited to the process of spitting out the bizarrely-formatted Congressional documents, but... still...

I'll bet they paid $5000 a copy through a military procurement contract back in 1987 and are going to use it until the sun turns cold.

2 comments on this post
---------------------------------------