Your Liberal Media
Thursday, January 26, 2006
Free people are peaceful
Posted by neros_fiddle at 9:06 AM
I suspect there will be a lot to say about Hamas' apparent majority victory in the Palestinian elections. For now, though, it will be interesting to see the GOP spin machine reconcile the "defeat terror through democracy" talking point with the ascendance of a reputed terror group to power via popular vote.
For example, we could compare Bush's "some people believe Arabs can't govern themselves" strawman rhetoric to this:
"A political party, in order to be viable, is one that professes peace, in my judgement, in order that it will keep the peace," Mr Bush told The Wall Street Journal.
"And so you're getting a sense of how I'm going to deal with Hamas if they end up in positions of responsibility. And the answer is: 'Not until you renounce your desire to destroy Israel will we deal with you'."
For a bunch that says it's not "domestic spying" if a US citizen makes an international call, it shouldn't be impossible or even difficult to square, but I expect it will be impressive.
1) The Palestinian election was rigged by Osama.
2) Without American help, Arabs will simply vote wrong.
3) If the wrong side wins, it's not really democracy.
4) The finger ink was blue, not purple. The results are invalid.
5) The Supreme Court needs to decide this one.
6) We support the noble freedom fighters seeking to overthrow the cruel yoke of Hamas rule.
If the right wants to use any of these, Karl Rove can make out the check to "ACLU."
1 comments on this post