A View From The Handbasket

Thursday, September 07, 2006
The President makes demands
Posted by neros_fiddle at 5:00 PM
The President of the United States is acting like a three-year-old the day after his birthday party, suddenly confronted with a day without presents and constant reinforcement that he's the most important person on earth:

President Bush acknowledged yesterday that he'd authorized a secret CIA detention program and announced plans to bring to trial 14 top terrorist suspects, including some of the alleged architects of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Bush used the announcement, delivered five days before the fifth anniversary of the 2001 attacks, to challenge Congress to authorize him to wage the war on terrorism on his terms. At stake is defining how the rule of law governs the executive branch as it deals with captives who it suspects are terrorists.

Speaking to a White House audience that included relatives of Sept. 11 victims, Bush demanded that lawmakers revive his plan for military tribunals without key legal safeguards for those on trial, legalize the CIA's detention program and shield U.S. officials from prosecution for possible war crimes.


Translation: "Yes, I have secret CIA torture prisons on foreign soil. Yes, I hold anyone I want captive indefinitely without charges or hearings. Yes, I tap phones and intercept e-mail without a warrant. Yes, I want to have my own kangaroo court where I make the rules. Yes, I want to torture anyone I want. Yes, I consider myself immune from prosecution. Yes, I consider myself a despot. I dare you to do something about it."

Memo to Congressional Democrats and non-insane Republicans: anyone care to step up to the plate?

0 comments on this post
---------------------------------------